Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Books read in 2011

I had written a post about the books I had planned to read in 2011. Out of the 14 books that I had listed, I read just 4. *sigh* So much for listing. But there is some respite in the fact that I did manage to read 14 books in 2011. I really enjoyed reading the series 'A Song of Ice and Fire'(aSoIaF) by George R.R. Martin. I loved Pratchett's humour and Gaiman's style.

Here are the books I read in 2011 and some comments about them:
  • A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - thus began the epic journey. Started this book sometime early Jan 2011 and was hooked. Review here.
  • Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk - Awesome book. Awesome Awesome book. Review (or something like a review) here.
  • A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin - Book 2 of aSoIaF. Just wow!
  • The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway - This book was lying on my bookshelf for a while. Decided to take a break in between aSoIaF and read this one. I liked the book and plan to read it again.
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - My first Vonnegut. Brilliant book. I am sure that I would keep reading it again and again. Review (or something like a review) here.
  • Killing Floor by Lee Child - Classic Old-school crime thriller. Jack Reacher is one bad-ass guy!
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - Finally read the first book. Crazy book. Surely I will read it again!
  • A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin - The twists continue and HOW! Book 3 of aSoIaF.
  • A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin - Book 4 of aSoIaF. The story slows down. Liked this book though. Classic fantasy storytelling and plot set up.
  • Batman: A Killing Joke by Alan Moore - What a book! Alan Moore you are a genius!
  • A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin - Book 5 of aSoIaF. More plot setting. A lot of cliffhangers. Waiting for Book 6 now. *sigh* Review here.
  • Small Gods by Terry Pratchett - Thank God that I read this after Dance. Helped me get over aSoIaF-withdrawal. Oh wait, did I just say 'Thank God'. ;)
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Young-adult fantasy. I would have liked to read more about the country Panem and how it came to be, but got a love story and a very predictable one at that. I might have enjoyed it more had I read it some years back. Fast paced book though.
  • Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - Ah Mr Gaiman, what a splendid book this is. Love the characters, the story and the style of writing. Waiting to read some more from him. Review here.
I definitely want to read more books in 2012. I am targetting around 20. No, this time around I won't be listing them on my blog (there is Goodreads for that!). I doubt if I will follow the list.

Here's wishing you all Happy Reading 2012!

No comments: