Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Book Review

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read a couple of reviews and went back to the book to realize that I hadn't bothered to review this book. Here are some of the status updates I wrote while reading the book:

36% - It has started to interest me a bit, but it still hasn't amazed me. The whole preparations for the games seemed like a Miss World contest. Except for the Gamekeepers maybe. Oh well, I am getting old I guess.

50% - Now that the games have begun, it does seem more interesting.

78% - The story is moving really fast. I am just being lazy and slow and complaining that the story is not rich. Martin has spoiled me.

84% - Trying a bit of prediction - Peeta and Katniss win the Hunger games. Book 2 has Gale entering the games and Peeta-Katniss have to coach him. What with the love triangle and all.

94% - "I seem to be in a strange, continual twilight." - Katniss' own words.

Initially, I thought that the book had promise. This is not just from the reviews it has received on Amazon and GR, but the fact that so many people seem to take a liking to it.

I loved the way the author started with the world description. Panem, the district, the games, the dystopian settings were all really good. And just when I thought it would get better, enter love story. From then on, it just went down for me. The world was just a backdrop for the love story.

I didn't like the drab characterization apart from Haymitch, maybe. Fellow fluid lover.

As for young-adult novels, there are some really good gems out there. But this book tries to better stuff like Twilight in some way and I don't even want to mention the conclusion. I did give the book 3 stars though, but that's just for the world setting and the fast writing pace.

P.S.: Don't you think the second half would make a radically brilliant Karan Johar movie?

View all my reviews

-
I read this book in November 2011. 

No comments: